Monday, January 17, 2011

Fragility

I always cherish, deep in my heart, the special therapeutic bond that I have with my beloved trainees. As you might already know by now (for the old-timers), this close bond is my primary vehicle that I use to influence positive changes in them on their road towards recovery.

The past 2 months or so have been difficult. Very difficult.

I must confess that I have not given enough time and labor in sowing the seeds that would bring about a closer relationship with them. The 2 weeks of annual leave in December in addition to the immense volume of outstanding administrative work have successfully robbed me of precious therapy time spent with them, much to my utter despair.

Within the same time frame, several trainees have incidentally turned against me for various reasons, 1 of which involves a very serious criminal allegation. Thankfully, most of the matters were resolved very quickly, and the therapeutic relationship with the trainees involved were not only restored, but strengthened too. However, there remains 1 matter unresolved, with its consequences threatening to spill over to destroy the already fragile bond that I have with all my trainees and even co-workers. Intervention (and investigations) from senior authorities were beyond disappointment and shock; I am left alone to fight this uphill task that seems immortally difficult. But life goes on.

Were I to give up?
Were I to flee?
To greener pastures
But what's there for me?

Hearts to heal
Lives to mend
Come what may
I've been sent

9 comments:

  1. Hi Noel I hope you don't feel utterly alone in this. Please feel free to bring it up during the group sessions or confide in any of the trainees you feel more comfortable. I hope it's not regarding the matter you told us this afternoon, and if it is, that it will be resolved soon.

    As for fleeing, I'm sure all of us have thought about that during one time or another. Hang in there. :)

    -Shuhui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noel. I can sense how tough-going it is for you. I hope the worst will be over soon, and the matter could be put to rest. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noel. May I know who had turned against you & involves a very serious criminal allegation? Like Run Bin said your job is too tough is right. Even if I was at your own shoes I can't do like you do or can't handle this matter. Why not if you have any problem just share it with Dylan or some of your OT mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry Noel, Its not an easy job.
    Dealing with emotional people, can also drain ppl out. Like what the rest of the guys said, do share your problems with ppl you are comfortable with. Truthfully I also don't know how to resolve your problems, cause I haven't found a solution to mine yet. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Noel, happy new year. Hope that this year will be a smooth year for you. All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Noel, pls read my update at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Noel, I hope that the problems were behind you. I hope and wish everything turn up good for you. I do not think God will forsake a good man especially if he believe in HIM. May God bless and keep you. Y

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Noel, problems should have been resolved. I hope that I am not the problematic trainee who gives you a headache. Shall keep on learning and be on track.

    Pris

    ReplyDelete